Wednesday 21 September 2011

Review: Screaming Females & The Lovely Eggs

11 months ago I went to see Screaming Females at the then called Bang Bang Club and was given a positive suprise (read my previous review). This time round, when I was heading to West Germany on Monday, I knew what to expect. However, I didn't know that they were going to supersede my expectations. 

Apparently, there is a Grunge revival going on. If there is truth to this, and there may well be judging by the forthcoming Soundgarden reunion tour and the amount of Dr Marten's models available in mainstream shoe shops these days, the main beneficiaries of this trend should be the cotton industry, Marc Jacobs, Courtney Love, and maybe, just maybe, Screaming Females. Because if there is a revival going on, this should be your soundtrack. They're the only contemporary group worthy of the title because they just know how to rock.

But first things first. The support was given by UK outfit The Lovely Eggs that night. I didn't really know what to make of this group ahead of the gig. I listened to some songs, I watched some video footage but it all looked somehow improvised and not like I was getting the real deal. But, surprise, it was the real deal. That's because The Lovely Eggs are technically a band as in they play instruments and write songs and sing and tour, you know. But this two-piece manages to make you smile all the way through the performance. It's like going to see a lo-fi punk gig but a comedy performance at the same time. And all the while they are stylish, too. And so very British. I like. 

Screaming Females played all their hits. Screaming Females rocked out. Screaming Females had the room dancing. See my old review if you want to know what they sound like or stuff like that. Just take it from me that if you get the chance to see this group live, make sure you take them up on the offer. One of my favourite live bands, hands down. You won't see another lady work the guitar the way this one does. Yum!

It was a Monday night but people had come out to rock and I was glad I had chosen thee Females again as my choice of evening entertainment. You just can't go wrong.


1 comment:

  1. I think I'm leaning towards the Lovely Eggs as being my thing for the night. Yeah, the ideas were simple, and some of the songs were a bit same'ish, but I think they were a bit cleaner and came across on a few more levels than the Females.

    ReplyDelete