Saturday 12 March 2011

Preview: the week ahead (14th-20th March)

I'm currenly planning my LA trip in April on which I will report to you from some gigs I will attend on the West Coast. But for now, spring is finally hitting Berlin with degrees over 10°C (wow!), sunshine and the first flowers growing in the guerilla gardens. It's another rather slow March week for live music but there are a few gems lurking in there. Here are our picks this week:

Tuesday
Nicolas Metall & Marie Germinal at King Kong Klub: Nicolas Metall and Marie Germinal are two artists in their own rights but my research leads me to believe that they come as a package. They're heavily influenced by Wave music from the 80s will appeal to those that listen to Joy Division 24/7 but also to fans of late 60s girl bands due to Miss Germinal's distinctive vocals.

Wednesday
Cut/Copy at Lido: Australians jumping on to the 80s influenced electro pop wagon. If you feel like dancing mid-week, this is an option for you.
Damo Suzuki & Groupshow at Festsaal Kreuzberg: Although those days are long over, Damo Suzuki will probably always be associated with Can, legendary 70s band that he sang for. Today, Mr Suzuki wanders on the experimental psychedelic trail with improvised vocals and gives a rare performance this Wednesday. Shame on me, but I'm actually slightly more excited by his support act, Groupshow from Berlin, who use an array of equipment to produce odd and wonderful sounds to move to or marvel at.

Thursday
Cara Beth Satalino at Schokoladen: a US singer from Georgia, Miss Satalino will appeal to that certain crowd that likes that certain kind of singer-songwriter music, preferably with a female voice. And indeed, her voice is beautiful and it will fill Schokoladen and you may as well be there early and grab one of the few seats.

Friday
Jeans Wilder at Madame Claude: This is totally my discovery of the week. Jeans Wilder from San Dieog is a one-man-project and chose the categories "Down-tempo / Experimental / Pop" on MySpace. I think for once this describes the music extremely well. It's music to sway to but at the same time clever and experimental at times. I think this is the perfect gig for a date or to simply start your weekend in a relaxed fashion, unwinding from the working week. Pick of the week. Meet me there.


Saturday
Polyhymnia Festival at Maria: A festival dedicated to Kraut and Progressive music, you will widen your horizons by spending one of the two nights at Maria this week (the festival runs Friday and Saturday). Check out their listings for all the acts that are playing and djing but let me especially recommend Warm Digits to you, some Brits who know how to get you moving. Fans of Battles, etc - listen up!


Sunday
Death Vessel at Privatclub: J. saw Death Vessel support Low once and reckons he's good live. I personally am reminded of such wonderful groups as Gregory & the Hawk when I listen to Death Vessel. At the same time I am amazed by how wonderfully female his voice sounds and how beautifully he uses it as an instrument in its own right. Definitely worth your while.


No comments:

Post a Comment