Saturday 22 January 2011

Review: Japanther + Shellshag

"We don't believe in governments. We are the Beavis and Butthead of Japanther and we believe in Rock'n'Roll!". Word.
Sold out. Fashion Week audience. Happening.

Shellshag weren't my cup of tea: poppy punk. So I won't go into that.

In theory, you could consider Japanther of the same genre. But in practice, their use of beat, samples and statements raise them to a league of their own. The very mixed crowd reflected this: people of all walks of life.

I was near the stage with the dancing kids for two-thirds of the show and I was somehow disappointed that this time round, the samples didn't carry live. However, when I moved to the back near the end of the gig, I realised that the sound upfront simply didn't let the samples through. At the back, all the elements really carried across and pleased musically. So: good show with a lot of dancing and a lot of band-audience-interaction at the front. Good music at the back. Just my luck that I enjoyed both sides of the medal.

I enjoyed myself and it was Japanther alright but to be honest, I don't think this gig compared to the last time they visited Berlin. But then again, it would be boring if every gig was the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment