Friday 8 July 2011

Quick London update: Brian Ferry, Weekend, New Look

OK my lovelies. Three weeks into my London time I feel I could share some of my musical experiences here with you.

Last week, I got to see Brian Ferry at a private event and it was amazing. I'm generally wary of old rockers but I was ever so impressed by this one. He played all the Roxy Music classics with such grace and he is still sexy. Seeing him without a high stage or any security measures was a pleasure I will not forget anytime soon.

I went to another Weekend gig the other night. The venue, Madame JoJo's, was nice but technical problems persisted throughout the show. And the band just wasn't as energetic as the first time round. It was interesting to see "first gig" versus "last gig" of the tour and I am very glad I got to see the first gig in Berlin, even if nobody was there.

Finally, last night I was invited to watch New Look, an electronic two-piece from New York. To me, musically, their mellow dance music was gagging for some change of beat or some live drumming or anything energetic; it was just too chilled out for me. But the band had a great stage presence, the vocals were amazing and I actually really enjoyed the gig. It was free and at a pub owned by Vice magazine (ja, right?), which was very cool. I hated to admit it but I loved the classiness of the venue!

Another 10 days to go in the UK and I'm sure there will be other musical experiences to share with you. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment