Sunday 12 May 2013

Preview: the week ahead (13th - 19th May)

We are feeling great, we cannot deny it. The sun is making a regular appearance, the flowers are blooming, there is a bank holiday per week to enjoy, and there are millions of great gigs a week to choose from. Here is our selection for you this week:

Monday 

Mount Eerie and Mountains at Festsaal Kreuzberg: Mount Eerie are finally back again. I missed their last Festsaal Kreuzberg appearance and haven’t seen them before although I love and follow their output since quite some time. Mount Eeries musical style is quite diverse and Phil Elverum, who basically is Mt. Eerie, also changed line-ups and band forms quite often. This time he tours with a full band set-up “as a singing group” with “primarily women singing and playing distorted bass.” His last records are intense mixtures of eerie (who would’ve thought that!?) and folky tunes with raw and noisy parts. The atmosphere their music creates is quite unique and beautiful and I guess it’s more or less safe to call this our gig of the week. So looking forward to it!

Tuesday
Comadrome & Snark and Brian Labycz & Gerard Lebik Duo at Loophole: I just saw Comadrome live at bei Ruth on Saturday and they completely took me by surprise. They played a great show that musically ranged from improvised noise sounds to heavy and experimental beats that sounded like a rad mix of Black Dice and hip hop, so I can safely encourage you to give them a listen if you’re into that sort of music. They also had very cool live visuals projected on stage which was a nice addition to the music. They are on a sort of Berlin tour right now, if you can’t make Tuesday check the rest of their schedule for further dates.



Wednesday

The KVB and Samuel Kerridge at NK: This duo can write a tune! My review of their King Kong Klub gig some time ago will give you the gist on this dark wave duo and the hopes I have for this gig.

Thursday
Woods at Comet Club: Another band returning to their last crime scene. When they played at Comet Club the last time early 2011 (our review here) I already wasn’t sure if it’s going to turn out good but doubts aside it did! Also the last Woods record was easily in my top 5 of 2012 so I’m looking forward to see them live again.
Charanjit Singh plays "Synthesizing: Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat" / A Guy Called Gerald "Live in Analogue" at Berghain: Now if this isn't special! Mr. Singh is a musician from Mumbai, India, who originally performed as a Bollywood session musician in the 1960s to 1980s. However, he is best known for his 1982 release "Synthesizing: Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat", an album originally intended as a fusion of electronic disco music with Indian classical ragas but music journalists reference it as one the first acid house records. At the age of 72, Charanjit is touring Europe and Berlin is lucky enough to be on the list of dates.

Friday
Bell Witch and Samothrace at Koma F: It’s not often that I’m interested in new heavy bands but for a funny reason this one caught my attention. Over a message board, I randomly found this album review on youtube and it got me so interested in actually hearing the record that the next thing I did was visiting the band’s bandcamp page, where you can listen to the whole record. I was convinced after a single listen that I wanted to visit this show after I then found out that they play in Berlin. Bell Witch play heavy and gloomy funeral doom, to me they sound like a mixture of OM and SunnO))). They’re only a duo and I love the minimalisti drums and bass line-up. So, finally a reason to visit a Koma F show again after quite a while.
Julie Doiron and Sheriff at Intersoup: Years ago, a friend gave me a CD by Julie Doiron and I did not pay attention to it for a while because I seldomly get into singer-songwriters really. Luckily, two years later, I was looking for new music to listen to and the CD went in my player and it didn’t leave it for some time. I was mesmerised. If you are into acoustic guitars and folk voices, you are in for a treat.
Savages, Johnny Hostile and Zan Lyons at Lido: C*’s gig of the week. There is a major buzz around about this group and it is oh-so-desserved! Rhythmic wave punk from London that kicks your ass. You cannot miss this and you know it. See you there. 




Saturday
Shopping, Drekoty and Rat Rat Rats at bei Ruth: Shopping are a minimalistic and wavy postpunk band relying on “propulsive bass lines, primitive disco-not-disco drums and guitar lines sharp as broken glass.” They remind me of bands like Prinzhorn Dance School, perfect soundtrack for a dancy Saturday. Drekoty are a Polish all-female trio and they play experimental pop music and Rat Rat Rats from Berlin are a wild noisy punk duo. Cool and interesting mixture.

Sunday
Charlie Parr at Monarch: After having to cancel his show last year, the wonderful Mr. Parr is now making up for the loss. His voice is unique and will warm you and stay with your for a long time. Wonderful indeed and the perfect end to the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment